Doctoral and Postdoctoral Research Fellowships
The GHI awards short-term research fellowships to European and North American doctoral students as well as postdoctoral scholars to pursue research projects that draw upon primary sources located in the United States. We are particularly interested in research projects that fit into the following fields:
- German and European history
- The history of German-American relations
- The role of Germany and the USA in international relations
- North American history and Pan American, including Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean (European doctoral and postdoctoral scholars only)
The proposed research projects should make use of historical methods and engage with the relevant historiography. We especially invite applications from doctoral students and postdoctoral scholars who currently have no funding from their home institutions. The fellowships are usually granted for periods of one to five months but, in exceptional cases and depending on the availability of funds, they can be extended by one month.
The GHI will not provide funding for preliminary research, manuscript composition, or the revision of manuscripts. It will give clear priority to those postdoc projects that are designed for the "second book." The fellowship is open to both doctoral and postdoctoral scholars based in North America and Europe. The monthly stipend is € 2,000 for doctoral students and € 3,400 for postdoctoral scholars. In addition, fellowship recipients based in Europe will receive reimbursement for their round-trip airfare to the U.S.
The GHI has two deadlines each year for the fellowships: April 1 and October 1. Questions about applying or for the fellowship program in general should be directed to Bryan Hart (firstname.lastname@example.org).
***Due to the ongoing situation with COVID-19, the current restrictions on travel, and the uncertainty of many archives’ operating status, the GHI has decided to suspend the October 1, 2020 deadline for short-term research fellowships. This means that the next deadline for funding for such fellowships noted will be April 1, 2021. Funding for fellowships awarded for the April 2021 deadline could commence as early as July 1, 2021. All other deadlines for GHI fellowships (such as the deadline for visiting fellowships on Dec. 1, 2020) remain in place for now.
- Applicants should be based at (or recent graduates of) a North American or European university or research institute.
- For doctoral students applying, ABD status is required before starting the fellowship.
- For postdoctoral scholars applying, the preference is for projects that are designed for the "second book" (Habilitation or equivalent).
- The proposed project should require primary research that is principally located in North America.
To apply please send the following materials using the online application form or (as a pdf) to email@example.com by April 1, 2021.
A brief cover letter
A copy of your most recent diploma or transcripts
Project description (no more than 2,000 words)
Research schedule for the fellowship
At least one letter of reference (sent separately to firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please combine all of your application materials except for the application form into a single PDF and include a word count at the end of your project description. Applicants may write in either English or German; we recommend that they use the language in which they are most proficient. Applicants will be notified about the outcome approximately two months after the deadline.