July 19, 2022
Deadline extended: August 26, 2022 | The German Historical Institute Washington is hiring an administrative assistant.
The German Historical Institute Washington DC (part of the Bonn-based Max Weber Foundation) seeks to fill the following position as soon as possible: Administrative Assistant.
The German Historical Institute (GHI) in Washington, DC, is an internationally recognized center for advanced historical research. Working with junior and senior scholars around the world, the GHI facilitates dialogue and collaboration across national and disciplinary boundaries and seeks to make their work accessible to the larger academic community, decision-makers in the public and private sectors as well as to a general audience through its myriad publications, events, research programs, and digital initiatives. We offer an exciting bilingual workplace in an international academic setting.
The Administrative Assistant works closely with the Administrative Director and Administrative Associates to provide support for the institute’s programs, staff, and operations. The successful candidate will handle the following tasks:
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and administering bank accounts,
- Support payroll administration of local employees,
- Administrative support for the institute’s internship program,
- Organize and maintain supplies for events and general office use,
- Correspondence with American service providers,
- Administer third party funds and provide administrative support to projects at the institute
- General administrative support, e.g. procurement of services.
- Fluency in spoken and written German and English required,
- B.A. or training (Ausbildung) in administration and/or human resources or at least three years of experience in the professional field as administrative assistant strongly desired,
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, and Excel),
- Proficiency with ERP software a plus,
- Good oral and written intercultural communication skills,
- Ability to work both independently and within teams,
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
The position is offered on a full-time (40 hours/week) basis. A part time position is possible if preferred. Additionally, the position allows for the option of telework (up to 40%). The GHI offers a competitive salary and a generous benefits package. We are an equal opportunity employer and family-friendly workplace. To apply, applicants who are not U.S. citizens must have a valid work and residence permit. The GHI does not sponsor work visas.
Please submit your application by August 26, 2022, with a cover letter and CV as well as relevant diplomas and references, in one PDF-document through our online application portal. We are planning on holding the interviews for this position in Washington, DC, on September 8, 2022. For questions on the position, please contact us at email@example.com.