250th anniversary of the Germany Society of Pennsylvania celebrated in Philadelphia on November 22, 2014
In 1774, the German Society of Pennsylvania was founded as a means to deal with the challenges and hardships German immigrants to the British colonies faced in the new world. During the 19th century, it continued to serve the German immigrant community in the United States and became the center of German-American cultural life in Philadelphia and the State of Pennsylvania. One of the most important activities was the founding of a library dedicated predominantly to German-language books, pamphlets and periodicals. Today, the Joseph Horner Memorial Library houses more than 70,000 volumes and offers the largest private collection of German books in the U.S. to researchers and the general public.
On November 22, 2014, the German Society celebrated its 250th anniversary with a Stiftungsfest Gala Dinner at the Society's home in 611 Spring Garden Street in Philadelphia. More than 200 members and guests attended the ceremonies, among them GHI deputy director Uwe Spiekermann and GHI head librarian Evi Hartmann.
The German Historical Institute congratulates the German Society of Pennsylvania on this grand anniversary and will continue to support the Society's research efforts: The deadline for the next GHI Fellowships at the Horner Library is February 15, 2015.