Publications of the German Historical Institute Series
Published in collaboration with Cambridge University Press
Series Editor: Simone Lässig with David Lazar
Copies are also available for purchase from Cambridge University Press.
- Thieves in Court: The Making of the German Legal System in the Nineteenth Century
- Nuclear Threats, Nuclear Fear and the Cold War of the 1980s
Eckart Conze, Martin Klimke, Jeremy Varon, eds.
- Paying for Hitler's War: The Consequences of Nazi Hegemony for Europe
Jonas Scherner and Eugene White, eds.
- Bavarian Tourism and the Modern World, 1800-1950
Adam T. Rosenbaum
- Austrian Banks in the Period of National Socialism
Gerald D. Feldman. Introduction by Peter Hayes
- The Holocaust and the Germanization of Ukraine
Eric C. Steinhart
- The East German Economy, 1945-2010: Falling Behind or Catching Up?
Hartmut Berghoff and Uta Andrea Balbier, eds.
- GIs in Germany: The Social, Economic, Cultural, and Political History of the American Military Presence
Thomas W. Maulucci, Jr., and Detlef Junker, eds.
- German Immigrants, Race, and Citizenship in the Civil War Era
Alison Clark Efford
- German Merchants in the Nineteenth-Century Atlantic
- Business in the Age of Extremes: Essays in Modern German and Austrian Economic History
Hartmut Berghoff, Jürgen Kocka, and Dieter Ziegler, eds.
- The Defortification of the German City, 1689-1866
- The German Minority in Interwar Poland
- The Struggle for the Files: The Western Allies and the Return of German Archives after the Second World War
Astrid M. Eckert
- The United States and Germany during the Twentieth Century: Competition and Convergence
Christoph Mauch and Kiran Patel, eds.
- Death in Berlin: From Weimar to Divided Germany
- Environmental Histories of the Cold War
J.R. McNeill and Corinna R. Unger, eds.
- War in an Age of Revolution, 1775-1815
Roger Chickering and Stig Förster, eds.
- Heisenberg in the Atomic Age: Science and the Public Sphere
- Know Your Enemy: The American Debate on Nazism, 1933–1945
Michaela Hoenicke Moore
- The Strained Alliance: U.S.- European Relations from Nixon to Carter
Matthias Schulz and Thomas A. Schwartz, eds.
- German Orientalism in the Age of Empire: Religion, Race, and Scholarship
Suzanne L. Marchand
- Ostpolitik, 1969–1974: European and Global Responses
Carole Fink and Bernd Schaefer, eds.
- Historical Justice in International Perspective: How Societies Are Trying to Right the Wrongs of the Past
Manfred Berg and Bernd Schaefer, eds.
- Nazi Crimes and the Law
Nathan Stoltzfus and Henry Friedlander, eds.
- Nature and Power: A Global History of the Environment
- Kennedy in Berlin
- The Currency of Socialism: Money and Political Culture in East Germany. 2006.
- From Nurturing the Nation to Purifying the Volk: Weimar and Nazi Family Policy. 1918–1945. 2006.
- Criminals and their Scientists: The History of Criminology in International Perspective. 2006.
Edited by Peter Becker, Richard F. Wetzell
- Berlin – Washington, 1800-2000: Capital Cities, Cultural Representation, and National Identities. 2006.
Edited by Andreas Daum, Christof Mauch
- Soldiers of Labor: Labor Service in Nazi Germany and New Deal America, 1933-1945. 2005.
Kiran Klaus Patel
- A World of Total War: Global Conflict and the Politics of Destruction, 1937-1945. 2005 (Vol. 36).
Edited by Roger Chickering, Stig Förster, Bernd Greiner
- The United States and Germany in the Era of the Cold War, 1945-1968 (Volume I).
The United States and Germany in the Era of the Cold War, 1968-1990 (Volume II). 2004.
Edited by Detlef Junker
- Dictatorship in History and Theory: Bonapartism, Caesarism, and Totalitarianism. 2004.
Edited by Peter Baehr, Melvin Richter
- America, the Vietnam War and the World: International and Comparative Perspectives. 2003.
Edited by Andreas W. Daum, Lloyd C. Gardner, Wilfried Mausbach
- International Financial History in the Twentieth Century: System and Anarchy. 2003.
Edited by Marc Flandreau, Carl-Ludwig Holtfrerich, Harold James
- Life after Death: Approaches to a Cultural and Social History of Europe During the 1940s and 1950s. 2003.
Edited by Richard Bessel, Dirk Schumann
- The Shadows of Total War: Europe, East Asia, and the United States, 1919-1939. 2003 (Vol. 30).
Edited by Roger Chickering, Stig Forster
- Money and Security: Troops, Monetary Policy, and West Germanys Relations with the United States and Britain, 1950-1971. 2002.
- Republicanism and Liberalism in America and the German States, 1750-1850. 2002.
Edited by Jürgen Heideking, James A. Henretta, Assisted by Peter Becker
- Two Cultures of Rights: The Quest for Inclusion and Participation in Modern America and Germany. 2002.
Edited by Manfred Berg, Martin H. Geyer
- Medieval Concepts of the Past: Ritual, Memory, Historiography. 2002.
Edited by Gerd Althoff, Johannes Fried, Patrick J. Geary
- Bridging the Atlantic: The Question of American Exceptionalism in Perspective. 2002.
Edited by Elisabeth Glaser, Hermann Wellenreuther
- Great War, Total War: Combat and Mobilization on the Western Front, 1914-1918. 2000.
Edited by Roger Chickering, Stig Förster
- Anticipating Total War: The German and American Experiences, 1871-1914. 1999.
Edited by Manfred F. Boemeke, Roger Chickering, Stig Förster
- 1968: The World Transformed. 1999.
Edited by Carole Fink, Philipp Gassert, Detlef Junker, Edited in association with Daniel S. Mattern
- Getting and Spending: American and European Consumer Society in the Twentieth Century. 1998.
Edited by Susan Strasser, Charles McGovern, Matthias Judt, Edited in association with Daniel S. Mattern
- The Treaty of Versailles: A Reassessment after 75 Years. 1998.
Edited by Manfred F. Boemeke, Gerald D. Feldman, Elisabeth Glaser
- Identity and Intolerance: Nationalism, Racism, and Xenophobia in Germany and the United States. 1998.
Edited by Norbert Finzsch, Dietmar Schirmer
- Transatlantic Images and Perceptions: Germany and America since 1776. 1997.
Edited by David E. Barclay, Elisabeth Glaser-Schmidt
- On the Road to Total War: The American Civil War and the German Wars of Unification, 1861-1871. 1997.
Edited by Stig Förster, Jörg Nagler
- Institutions of Confinement: Hospitals, Asylums, and Prisons in Western Europe and North America, 1500-1950. 1997 (Vol. 16).
Edited by Norbert Finzsch, Robert Jütte
- Medicine and Modernity: Public Health and Medical Care in Nineteenth- and Twentieth-Century Germany. 1997 (Vol. 15).
Edited by Manfred Berg, Geoffrey Cocks
- Forced Migration and Scientific Change: Emigré German-Speaking Scientists and Scholars after 1933. 1996.
Edited by Mitchell G. Ash, Alfons Söllner
- In and out of the Ghetto: Jewish-Gentile Relations in Late Medieval and Early Modern Germany. 1995.
Edited by R. Po-Chia Hsia, Hartmut Lehmann
- Between Sorrow and Strength: Women Refugees of the Nazi Period. 1995 (Vol. 12).
Edited by Sibylle Quack
- People in Transit: German Migrations in Comparative Perspective, 1820-1930. 1995.
Edited by Dirk Hoerder, Jörg Nagler
- German Influences on Education in the United States to 1917. 1995.
Edited by Henry Geitz, Jürgen Heideking, Jürgen Herbst
- Hannah Arendt and Leo Strauss: German Émigrés and American Political Thought after World War II. 1995.
Edited by Peter Graf Kielmansegg, Horst Mewes, Elisabeth Glaser-Schmidt
- American Policy and the Reconstruction of West Germany, 1945-1955. 1994.
Edited by Jeffry M. Diefendorf, Axel Frohn, Hermann-Josef Rupieper
- Paths of Continuity: Central European Historiography from the 1930s to the 1950s. 1994.
Edited by Hartmut Lehmann, James Van Horn Melton
- A Past Renewed: A Catalog of German-Speaking Refugee Historians in the United States after 1933. 1993.
- Weber's Protestant Ethic: Origins, Evidence, Contexts. 1993.
Edited by Hartmut Lehmann, Guenther Roth
- Elections, Mass Politics and Social Change in Modern Germany: New Perspectives. 1992.
Edited by Larry Eugene Jones and James Retallack
- Contending with Hitler: Varieties of German Resistance in the Third Reich. 1992.
Edited by David Clay Large
- Genoa, Rapallo, and European Reconstruction in 1922. 1992.
Edited by Carole Fink, Axel Frohn, and Jürgen Heideking
- An Interrupted Past: German-Speaking Refugee Historians in the United States after 1933. 1991.
Edited by Hartmut Lehmann and James J. Sheehan