German-English Bilingual Administrative Assistant
June 7, 2021
Deadline: June 27, 2021 | The German Historical Institute Washington is hiring a German-English Bilingual Administrative Assistant.
The German Historical Institute Washington DC (part of the Bonn-based Max Weber Foundation) seeks to fill the following position starting August 1st, 2021: German-English Bilingual Administrative Assistant.
The German Historical Institute Washington DC is a center for advanced studies that promotes transatlantic dialogue and collaboration in history and related fields.
The successful candidate will handle the following tasks:
- Handle all incoming telephone calls
- Answer general requests via email
- Greet visitors and announce guests and serve as initial contact for visitors to the library
- Serve as contact person for service and delivery personnel
- Receive and distribute incoming mail and packages, prepare outgoing mail
- Update and maintain contact management databases for the institute
- Administer calendars, mailing lists, invitations for events, participant`s lists
- Contribute to the planning and execution of lectures and conferences held at the GHI:
- Travel arrangements for lecturers and participants
- Prepare event materials, organize and maintain supplies for events
- Staffing of events (in-house/virtual)
- General administrative support, e.g. procurement of services
- Excellent fluency in spoken and written German and English required
- Highly developed interpersonal skills including excellent telephone manners
- High comfort level with technology, demonstrating strong proficiency in Excel, e-mail-programs and knowledge of database work desired; comfort with video conferencing platforms like Zoom, WebEx and Starleaf
- Training and/or experience in the relevant fields of event management and administration desired
- Ability to work independently and with teams
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi- task
The position is offered on a full-time (40 hours/week) basis or might be shared in two part-time positions, with occasional work on evenings and Saturdays. Please indicate your preference in the applications. Applicants who are not U.S. citizens must have a valid work permit. A sponsorship by the GHI is not possible. The GHI offers competitive salary and a generous benefits package, and is an equal opportunity employer and family-friendly workplace.
Please submit your application by June 27th, 2021, with a cover letter and CV as well as relevant diplomas and references, copy of passport and, if applicable, Green Card, or visa, together with your work permit attached in one PDF-document through our online application portal. For questions on the position, please contact the Administrative Director Anne Kadolph (email@example.com).