August 25, 2022
Deadline: September 23, 2022 | The German Historical Institute Washington is hiring an Event Coordinator
The German Historical Institute Washington DC (part of the Bonn-based Max Weber Foundation) seeks to fill the following position, starting as soon as possible:
The German Historical Institute (GHI) in Washington, DC, is an internationally recognized center for advanced historical research. Working with junior and senior scholars around the world, the GHI facilitates dialogue and collaboration across national and disciplinary boundaries and seeks to make their work accessible to the larger academic community, decision-makers in the public and private sectors as well as to a general audience through its myriad publications, events, research programs, and digital initiatives. We offer an exciting bilingual workplace in an international academic setting.
The Event Coordinator works closely with the administrative and research teams to organize and manage all aspects of institute’s meetings, lectures, and multi-day conferences. The successful candidate will handle the following tasks:
Primary functions of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Independently organize and manage a variety of events from meetings and lectures to multi-day conferences for the GHI in close cooperation with our research staff
- Contact point for all event collaboration with other institutions and vendors
- Travel arrangements for lecturers and participants
- Prepare all event materials (flyers and event announcements, participant lists, programs, folders, name badges, etc.)
- Organize and maintain supplies for events
- Staffing of events (setting up rooms, preparing coffee breaks, etc.)
- Collecting and processing of data and general administrative support (administering calendars, mailing lists, invitations)
- Professional fluency in spoken and written German and English required
- Highly developed interpersonal skills including excellent telephone manners
- High comfort level with technology, strong proficiency with MS Office, e-mail-programs, event registration platforms required; knowledge of database work and event management software desired; comfort with video conferencing platforms like Zoom, WebEx, and Starleaf
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent years of work experience in the field of event management
- Ability to work independently and with teams
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task
The position is offered on a full-time (40 hours/week) basis, with periodic work on evenings and Saturdays. A part time position is possible if preferred. The position allows for the option of telework (up to 40%). We are an equal opportunity employer and a family-friendly workplace. The GHI offers a competitive salary and a generous benefits package. Applicants who are not U.S. citizens must have a valid work permit. The GHI does not sponsor work permits or visa.
Please submit your application by September 23, 2022, with a cover letter and CV as well as relevant diplomas and references, in one PDF-document through our online application portal. For questions on the position, please contact the Administrative Director, Anne Kadolph (firstname.lastname@example.org). Further information on the GHI, its mission, and its current research program is available at www.ghi-dc.org.