Event & Administrative Assistant
Deadline: May 31, 2020 | The Pacific Regional Office of the Germany Historical Institute Washington in Berkeley California is hiring an Event & Administrative Assistant.
The Pacific Regional Office of the Germany Historical Institute Washington in Berkeley California seeks to fill the following part-time position: Event & Administrative Assistant.
The German Historical Institute, Washington DC (GHI), a member institute of the Bonn-based Max Weber Foundation, is a research center that promotes transatlantic dialogue and collaboration in history and related fields. We are looking for Event & Administrative Assistant for our Pacific Regional Office in Berkeley, California (GHI|PRO). GHI|PRO is located at the Institute of European Studies (IES) at the University of California Berkeley. The IES is also a program partner for many of GHI|PRO’s events. The central responsibility of GHI|PRO is to foster international and interdisciplinary networks of scholars and to support German researchers in taking advantage of the rich research opportunities on the West coast. GHI|PRO is also working towards establishing a Center for the History of Migration and Knowledge.
Working closely with the Program Officer of the GHI|PRO, the Event & Administrative Assistant supports the planning and managing of a variety of events from lectures to multi-day conferences.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Organize GHI|PRO lectures at UC Berkeley
- Be an active liaison to GHI|PRO partners at UC Berkeley
- Create flyers and electronic event announcements
- Set up and maintain event registration
- Prepare all event materials (programs, conference folders, name badges, etc.)
- Organize and maintain supplies for events and general office use
- Staff events (set up room for lectures and conferences, prepare coffee breaks, etc.)
- Arrange Travel and accommodations for lecturers and conference participants
- Perform other duties, including data entry and record keeping, in adherence to the relevant German and American legislation.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, and Excel) and other database systems
- Experience with event registration platforms
- Knowledge in Adobe Creative Suite a plus
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently, and with teams, with minimal supervision.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Flexibility in schedule to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent years of work experience
- German language skills a plus but not required
The Events Coordinator position is part-time (min. 20 hours/week). The successful applicant will be offered a two-year contract; an extension is possible. The GHI offers competitive salaries and a generous benefits package.
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment by May 31, 2020 through our online application portal.
For questions please contact Heike Friedman, GHI|PRO’s Program Officer, 510.643.4558, friedman(at)ghi-dc.org.
The Max Weber Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. The Max Weber Foundation is a family-friendly employer who is committed to support a healthy work-life balance.