Programs for Junior Scholars & Fellowships
Fellowships & Research Grants
The German Historical Institute seeks to further international dialogue, particularly between European and North American academics, by offering fellowships open to scholars from both sides of the Atlantic. It is particularly committed to supporting doctoral and postdoctoral research through a variety of competitive fellowships, prizes, and internships.
- Binational Research Tandem Program in Global History and Trans-Regional History
- Binational Research Tandem Program in the History of Knowledge and Knowledge Cultures
- Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Fellowship in the History of Family and Kinship
- Fellowship in the History of Knowledge
- Fellowship in the History of Migration
- Fellowship in the History of Race and Ethnicity
- Fellowship in the History of Religion and Religiosity
- Gerald D. Feldman Reisebeihilfen (Travel Grants)
- Gerda Henkel Postdoctoral Fellowship for Digital History
- GHI Fellowships at the Horner Library
- Post-Doctoral Fellowships in the Humanities at Universities and Research Institutes in the U.S. and Germany (pdf) (Volkswagen Foundation)
- Stipendium in "the History of the Americas"
Programs for Junior Scholars
The German Historical Institute Washington is particularly dedicated to supporting the research of promising graduate students and recent Ph.D. recipients. To this end the GHI offers a variety of seminars for doctoral students and junior scholars from North America and Europe.